Tuesday, August 12, 2008

quite a bit accomplished today. . .

Hey everybody,
It's been a great day!! I wanted to mow my lawn this a.m. but my neighbor, Steve, said he'd do it. I told him I was fine, but he insisted I not do it myself. It's kind of like Scott Cooper on Sunday who saw me back behind the baptistry carrying out one of the banners. He told me to put it down because if someone saw me carrying it, he'd be in trouble or look bad. I don't get what the big deal is. I guess people would be surprised if they knew I wanted to go work Habitat. I probably can't this month because the weekend it hits will be the weekend after my 2nd chemo treatment. I'd have a week to recuperate, but people would still say I was being too crazy. I'm not being crazy, I just feel normal and this is stuff that I'd normally do. At least most people get the need for me not to just sit in a rocking chair everyday.

I moved the furniture around today. After my last treatment I realized that the furniture wasn't sitting in the right spots. It took me about 3 hrs. today since I had to vacuum as well, but it looks good, now. I got the laundry caught up and all the dishes washed in the dishwasher, and I even made homemade applesauce! The dietitian told me apples were ok as long as I don't eat the skin. She also suggested that I make my own so I could control the amount of sugar in it. I had a mug today while the apples were still hot, and boy it tasted fantastic!!

I'm having lunch tomorrow with Sheri and Barbara at the Bra Patch. I used to help Sheri clean Barbara's house and I haven't seen her since we stopped working together. She's sent me several cards and I'm really looking forward to lunch tomorrow. Sheri's getting us chicken salad and tea and I'm taking chips and my homemade applesauce. I hope Sheri's feeling ok. She broke her baby toe on Saturday trying to open the door for work. She's wearing a shoe boot, and she has to go see an orthopedic to see if anything else needs to be done. She said it didn't really hurt, but we'll see. . .

Yesterday afternoon Shannon and I went to the movies and saw, "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants". I liked the first one, and I think I liked this one even better. Go see it if you get the chance. I like that all the original characters had returned. Sometimes that doesn't always happen. The only problem was that we went to the 4:10 show, and I forgot about the tutoring again on Mondays. I don't why I can't seem to remember to go. I always went after work, but since everything's happended, I can't ever remember to go. I don't think about it until after 6 that day or sometimes it doesn't hit me until Tuesday. I'm pretty good at remembering Wed. I didn't go last Wed. because of recuperating from the treatment, but I"m going to tomorrow.

I had lab work done yesterday at Rex Cancer Center and all the levels are staying up. I feel fine. The nurse said I should be feeling a little tired because my iron is a little low, but I don't. I have noticed that my energy level goes down sooner than it used to but I figured I was just getting lazy because I'm not working as hard as I used to. I don't think my iron level has gone back to normal since all the surgery I went through. I'm trying to eat lots of red meat and lots of protein. Food still tastes like food and so I'm eating almost nonstop thanks to the steroids. I lost about 7-8 lbs. after chemo but I'm putting it back on. Yesterday the scale said I'd only lost 3 lbs. so I figure by time I go for my next treatment next Friday, my weight should be back to normal. I'm eating lots of carbs and fattening foods and drinking Ensure Plus everyday. 8 oz. of Ensure has 350 calories all by itself.

I mentioned before that I'm trying to go home before my next treatment, but I can't seem to get the government to put my disability check into my checking account. I've called my case manager at least 5 times in the past week, but she doesn't return my calls. She told me to call her but I'm not sure what's the point if she doesn't respond back. I'm still hoping I can leave on Friday a.m. and stay until Tues. We'll see. . .

Well not much more to say. It's just been a fruitful, busy day.

No comments: