Saturday, August 23, 2008

Day one after chemo. 2 down, 4 to go. Yesterday went pretty well. Blood work barely hurt, but they did blow the vein in my hand. That's no fun! They put a saline solution through the IV. Boy, does that sting for about 1-2 minutes. They used a different nurse on the other hand and we had no problems. I don't think the first nurse did anything wrong, it just happens.

When they got ready to give me the Benadryl IV I asked them how much they were giving me and she said 50 mg. I told her we were only doing 25 mg. before each chemo drug. She looked on the chart and she said," no you had 50 mg., we just slowed it down because of the reaction you had". I told her I would rather she only do 25 mg. and she said she didn't think that 25mg. was enough to keep me from having a reaction to the chemo drug. She also said she couldn't force me to have 50 mg. I told her I understood her position and that I wasn't trying to be difficult, but with my drug sensitivity I was a little concerned. I asked her what the reactions would be and she said, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing, maybe a rash. I asked her if I could have those reactions later after I got home, but she said no, the reactions would happen only while the chemo drug was being administered. She agreed to keep the other 25mg. nearby the IV just in case it was needed. I told her that worked for me. The Benadryl did not make me loopy this time and I was even able to get up and walk to the bathroom with assistance. When we finished she said that I was right and that 25mg. was obviously enough for me, and she would make note of it in my chart for next time. I thanked her.

Day one is leaving me feeling pretty normal. I got up early and baked an apple pie(I'm having dinner with Steve and Allyson tonight), and I'm also bringing homemade mac and cheese in the crockpot. They're doing chicken breast on the grill with corn on the cob. Yummy Yum!! Bring it on! I made some homemade applesauce with the few apples I had left over but I think I'm going to take it to Sheri tomorrow night for music practice. I know it couldn't have been easy going with me on Thursday. She was great!! I love my new wig. Yeah, I know I said earlier in my blog that I'm so not a wig person, but this wig looks so much like my normal hair. I wear the scarves at home, ( compliments of Sheri), and when I go out and especially at church, I wear the wig because then people don't know that I'm sick with chemo treatments, and those at church who do know, if they don't see the scarves then they'll think at least I haven't lost my hair and the focus when I'm singing up front won't be on me, but it will be praise to God as it should be.
I had lunch with the girls today and they loved the new wig. Shannon used her digital camera so that we can email my new "do" to my sister so she won't feel so bad. We even took a picture of all three of us so I can update my screen saver of us. The one I have now was taken 2 years ago. It turned out pretty good. When she gets it downloaded and sends it to me, I'll try and email to all of you so you can see what I'm talking about.

The Dr. yesteray did yell at me. It seems that when I start having bad days with the chemo I'm supposed to take the Ibuprofen and the Ativan for those three days. She couldn't believe I didn't take anything. I told her that they had told me not to take anything extra because it could mess up the chemo drugs that I'm taking. I was glad that Robin was there because she was my witness and she heard them say the same things I did. So. . . the Dr. thinks round 2 should be a lot easier since I'll be taking the drugs this time. I'm not keen on taking the Ativan because it's like Valium and it makes you very sleepy and loopy but the Dr. said that the 3 days when I'm feeling the effects from the chemo are the three days that my body needs extreme rest to be able to recuperate from the steroids I take before the effects hit. She said the pattern I had the first time fit exactly the way it should. I take steroids the day of chemo and then 2 days after, so that by Monday the steroids are wearing off and that's why I start hurting but the Ibuproben will alleviate the discomfort and the Ativan will give my body the rest that it needs. Good thing I'm not working, I might fall alseep cleaning out a toilet and end up giving myself a "swirly"

When I had lunch today with the girls they invited me to dinner this coming Friday. At first I thought Katie was asking Shannon if she was going to be able to join them for dinner, but no, she was talking to me. She's making her famous pot roast with homemade gravy. Sounds good to me!! I'm bringing dessert and the girls have already requested strawberry shortcake. Hope I can find strawberries. I'll need to keep my eyes open for the grocery flyers and see who has the better deal this week. If anyone reads this blog and knows where the deals are, please feel free to email me. Thanks! The girls even helped me stop by Food Lion for a couple of things I still needed to get. That helps so much when I can have help in the store. At least then I have energy left for when I get home and have to carry it all inside and put it away.

Got a call from Betty this a.m. My Aunt Linda in Texas, ( my Dad's brother, Dave's wife), passed away. She had a slight stroke a few weeks ago and had gone home to stay with her daughter, Teresa, but ended up back in the hospital and they had to put her on a ventilator this week and she died. They'll have the funeral in Texas, but Dave wants to have a memorial service back in Elkhart. No details yet, but I told Betty that if the time frame fits around my chemo treatments, of course I'll drive back for my Uncle Dave. We'll see. . . My next treatment is Sept. 12. It's the half way point by then already. It's actually going pretty fast. . .

I think that pretty much catches you up on what's been happening around here
Bye for now. . .

No comments: