Friday, December 19, 2008

I survived this week. . .

I can't believe it's already Friday! Where has the week gone? It's been a busy one for me. I've worked everyday this week and on Tuesday, I cleaned two homes. One thing that I've noticed is that I don't' move as quickly as I used to. I noticed that even when I'm walking with other people, they walk much faster than I do. I guess that's what happens when you sit "idle" for so long. I'm sure I'll speed up eventually. I'm fighting a headache tonight, but it's probably because of all the things that I've done this week. It's been a busy one, that's for sure!

Tonight, Shannon is supposed to call anytime now and we're going to decide if we want to go see the musical light show at Lake Myra. I'm pretty sure that they've had to cancel it every night this week because of the rain and fog in the area. Maybe tonight will be different. We'll see. . .

Tomorrow I have no plans all day except to finish filling out my Christmas cards. I've started the process but I probably have at least a couple more hours before I'm finished. I'm such a procrastinator! If things take a long time to finish, I have a hard time sticking to it until it gets down to the final wire, time wise. I'll put all of the cards in the mailbox tomorrow. No excuses!

I wanted to let you know about the new movie, Marley and Me. It comes out Christmas Day. My friends, Robin and Pedro went to the premiere last night. It's not the kind of movie that you want to take your family to see, especially not on Christmas Day. It's a movie about this dog, Marley, of course, but the movie is all about his life and how in the end they have to euthanize him, (yes they show this part). My friends said there wasn't a dry eye in the theatre. It was especially hard for Robin to watch. They have an older dog, Raleigh, that's getting to the stage where they're going to have to make some tough decisions concerning his health and quality of life. Some of you have been there, so you know how hard this is. I'm not sure why a movie had to be made like this, and to premiere it on Christmas Day is distasteful, if you ask me. I just wanted to give you a heads up, in case you were thinking of seeing this movie.

Enough movie talk. . .are you tired of hearing everyone ask you if you're ready for Christmas yet? I'm not really sure what to say to people. I haven't done any shopping. I HAVE baked Christmas cookies, (which I'm thoroughly enjoying!), and I have all the Christmas decorations up, inside and out. The stockings are hung up waiting to be filled, (I'll probably fill them), and I've been listening to all my neat Christmas music around the house. I've watched Christmas movies when I've had the chance, and we just performed the Cantata on Sunday a.m. I still haven't gotten to see the musical light show, but that's probably going to take place tonight or this weekend. I think in answer to that question, I'm more prepared this year at this time, than I've ever been in years. You see, my focus hasn't been on the shopping, baking, decorating, music, movies, etc. but truly my heart has been thinking about Him.

Two weeks ago at church. they used some clips from the "Nativity" in the early service. I'd forgotten how much is portrayed in this movie. The last scene they showed was the birth of Jesus. It's hard for me to watch that scene and not cry. I can't fathom why God would give up all of heaven and come to earth as a baby, no less, just because of His love for me. What's more vulnerable than a newborn? So many things could have happened! Before you start commenting to me about how God had it all in His plans, I know that, but still, a BABY?? I think about Mary and the position that she was placed in, the disgrace to her family, the disgrace to her Joseph. It's obvious that they had to have a lot of trust in each other, but more importantly, they had trust in God. I wonder if I would have that much trust in Him? They were outcasts until Jesus was born, and even then, people would know that Jesus was not Joseph's son. What a heavy burden to carry for 9 months! I wonder if they felt afraid when they had to travel to Bethlehem because of the census being taken? When Joseph was the only one there in that stable and had to help bring Jesus into the world, can't you imagine how much fear they must have felt? We panic if the labor pains are 2-3 minutes apart and we're not near a hospital where there are doctors to help us. They had no one!! No women were there to help Mary deliver her firstborn! She had Joseph only, to rely upon. There aren't very many dads out there that would want to change places with Joseph. They're more than happy to stay at their wife's side and let her squeeze their hands during each contraction, but DELIVER their firstborn, I think not!! When we think of Christmas, as Christians, we know that Christmas is all about Jesus' birth, but do we think about all that took place before the beautiful ending? Mary and Joseph had so much faith in God, that they were willing to trust in Him for everything, no matter what the circumstances. Oh, that my faith could be that strong!! I love the manger scene like everyone else does, but this year, God has reminded me to "look" at the before pictures and to put it all into perspective. Where would I be today if Mary and Joseph had chosen to do things their own way?

Maybe that's why God chose such young people to fulfil His most awesome plan. I think the older we get, the more set in our ways we become, and the harder it is to just let God be God in our lives. My life this year hasn't gone anything like I would have planned it, and yet I'm glad that I could see God all along the way. I have always said that it's the "people" in my life that bring me happiness. It's never been about the "stuff" that we as humans collect. God has used so many of you to bring me happiness this year. My heart at times has been overflowing with your love and compassion towards me. It's been so special to be able to have lunch or dinner with many of you, and to just laugh together, remembering old times. When I was working so much before, it was so hard to get together with you, but I've had these past 6 months to reconnect with you guys and I wouldn't trade that for anything!

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas! I'm looking forward to having a day to just spend with the "kids". I'm not traveling this year back to Indiana,(which is probably good, seeing as how the weather isn't cooperating), but I'm planning on going back probably in March or possibly the end of January. It will all depend on the weather, and if my work schedule and my wallet can handle it. With gas prices down right now, that helps. We'll just see how everything plays out. My energy level isn't strong enough yet to make the trip, but a lot can change in a month's time.

No comments: