I'm feeling the chemo effects today with the aches and muscle cramps in my feet and legs today, but it could be so much worse. The ibuproben is helping. I wanted to blog today while it's fresh in my brain.
This weekend I took part in the program of angelfood ministries. I've blogged earlier about this wonderful opportunity to get food for $30. It's enough food to last me about a month. The only problem was that when I went to pick up my food on Saturday, from 9:30-10:30a.m., the truck had broken down and they asked everyone to come back at 4 instead, no problem. . . I went back at 4 and the truck still was not there. At 5:45 the truck finally arrived but it still needed to be unloaded and each of the stations had to be set up and all the food had to be counted before it's distributed. The staff working that day should all get medals! They made sure that everyone had a seat to sit on, fresh water to drink, books and magazines to look at. They really tried to make it as good of an experience as possible. Nobody likes to wait almost 2 hours to get their food. Once they opened the doors, the line moved very quickly. Now. . .here's where only I could do this.
I went through the line as they slid my box along, filling it up with each of the items. I carried the box out to my car and wondered where my potatoes and onions were. I didn't have any of the produce. I walked back inside, talked to someone, they told me to go to the produce station and pick up my box, so I did and went home and put everything away. In the produce box there was a 2# bag on onions and a large bag of fresh lemons as well as a whole lot of other things. I knew that I couldn't possibly eat all the onions and lemons so I asked my friends whom I was having dinner with Saturday night if they'd like to have them. They were more than happy to help me out!
Last night I was at church talking to a friend and she was talking about how they were missing one produce box. Yep, you guessed it! I took her box. I hadn't ordered the produce box, but my chemo brain thought I had!! I was so embarrassed! Fortunately I know the person whom I have stolen from and we're connecting probably tomorrow night to give her food back to her. Then I also had to call my friends and ask them if they'd used any of the lemons or onions yet, (they hadn't!), and so now after dinner tonight, I'm going to their house and get them. Only I could do something like this!! It's so embarrassing!
But. . .inspite of myself, God has such a great sense of humor in my life. This a.m. I received a phone call from a lady from the Maranatha S.S. class and guess what she wanted to ask me? Yep, they wanted to purchase the Nov. angelfood box for me. Angelfood ministries is also offering a Thanksgiving box,(a complete Thanksgiving meal for 4). I told her I was having Thanksgiving dinner with Katie and Shannon and I'd be lucky if they let me bring the dessert. Katie loves to cook and since I couldn't be with them last Thanksgiving,(I was in Indiana with my Dad and my family), she's already requested my presence this year, and I've accepted. I DID tell the lady who called though that I wouldn't mind if they wanted to purchase the extra produce box. She said that sounded great and that they'd get the receipt that I needed to be able to pick up my box on Nov. 22, some time next week. Is that funny or what?So in Nov. I'll get a 2# bag of onions that I won't be able to use all by myself, so my friends will still get their onions and it won't cost me anything. If you know anybody who likes Ruby Red Florida grapefruit, I'm getting 2 of them that I won't be eating either. This is definitely a "God thing!"
Well, the shower if calling me to help with my aching muscles today. Gotta run. . . I'll try and blog about my last chemo treatment. Robin said I wasn't giving as many details to you guys as I used to so I'll fill you in another time.
Love, Cheryl
What Direction
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment